|Picture it: Chicago, 2012 ...|
2011 was a fairly good year.
- Athletically, I put myself way out of my comfort zone and by season's end, had taken a good 2.5 minutes off my 5k min/mile pace (I've probably added 4 minutes onto it, since then!). I competed in my first open-water swim, all 1.5 miles of it. I managed to keep up with the Ironman athletes for about 6 miles on a summer group ride (that was most likely their warm-up, but the fact that I stuck with them up until the hill still makes me giggle). I took some Krav Maga classes.
- Work-wise, I set up a company web site. I haven't launched it to the public yet, but it exists and it's about 90% written. Okay ... maybe this isn't anything to brag about. Moving on...
- I rediscovered this blog (I seemed to have ... 'misplaced' ... it in 2010) and made a commitment to update it at least weekly. As of today, I'll have posted 61 times this year, even though I never seemed to get around to it in March, July, August or September.
- Family-wise, I feel like I finally hit my stride as a stay-at-home mom. I think I fought myself for the first two or three years -- I just couldn't accept that it was okay to be happy 'playing' house. This year, I realized how important my job is and how rewarding the work can be. Once I decided to be good at it, I was. The pay still sucks, but I like what I do, so it's all good.
- I got better at saying 'no' and not over-extending myself.
- I've continued to trust my gut instinct. It's killer-sharp.
- I did not knit a sweater. That's a strike against me in 2011.
In 2012, I hope to find some power in numbers. And at the end of 2012, when I'm thinking about 2013, I can see if I measured up. In 2012, I'd like to:
- Knit at least 6 hours each week (312 hours).
- Work out at least 6 hours each week (312 hours).
- Post a blog entry at least 4 times each week (208 posts).
- Run one marathon (26.2 miles).
- Go to the movie theater with JUST my husband once per quarter (4 movies).
- Eat oysters on the half two times (That's about 12 to 18 oysters).
- Discover a new (or old) album and learn every track on it (word for word) each month (12 albums). I'm thinking of starting with an early Talking Heads cd that I never really got into or some later Pearl Jam cd's that I never ended up buying.
- Start a year-long art project, that will track how many Victoria's Secret catalogs I receive (and when I receive them). My plan is to start one blog entry on January 2 and just photograph/date the catalogs in one very long post. (I anticipate getting at least 156 catalogs).
I need to figure out what is going to help me log all this information. I think treating myself to one of those funky moleskine notebooks from the art store might be good motivation. A fun pen might also help.
Husband, if the Christmas light-bulb just flickered on and you think you want to pick up the pen and notebook for me, please don't, lova. I want to spend at least 75 minutes touching every notebook in the store before I pick the one I want. Same goes with the pen.
I wouldn't turn down a gift certificate from Dick Blick, though.