Sunday, December 25, 2011

Debbie Downer

The kids woke up at about 5:20 this morning: it was still pitch black outside. I had taken an Ambien the night before so I could be guaranteed at least 8 hours of sleep. 


I now know that if you take an Ambien before bedtime and aren't able to get at least 8 hours of sleep, you feel like a total piece of shit the following day.


Merry Christmas.


Christmas Eve was pretty fantastic. We had the kids help us get the house tidied up (Santa won't come to a dirty house) and Husband made his version of the Feast of the Seven Fishes, which in our house is actually just three courses with four fishes. We followed our "Feast" with homemade cannoli, Christmas cookies and champagne while watching "It's a Wonderful Life."  


Last night made all the work of Christmas seem worthwhile. I had the three most important people in the world on the couch with me and had enough of a buzz to not want to kill myself while Jimmy Stewart barked and whined for two solid hours. 


But man, today sucked.  I woke up with a headache and have had a sour stomach all day. As soon as the kids finished with their gifts, I headed back to bed. I missed the call with my Dad, his wife and my Gram. I bumbled my way through a conversation with my Mom. I still haven't called my Aunt and Uncle, but can't imagine having the energy to make my mouth form words.

I'm pissed off. Little guy still believes in the fat guy in a red suit and was amazed to find that Santa brought him a Bears jersey and the latest "Diary of a  Wimpy Kid" book. It's very possible that the jig will be up next year and I feel like I just crapped away his last 'magical' Christmas. 



My little girl got a bunch of trendy nail polish, so I offered to paint her nails. Then I yelled at her for being wiggly.

I wish Santa would have put some patience in my stocking this year. 



We forgot to open the Panettone (I don't like it, but it's a tradition on Husband's side of the family) and we never got around to mimosas for breakfast. It's now 6 pm and we haven't eaten our Christmas dinner, which is my job to prepare (Husband does Christmas Eve dinner: I handle Christmas Day dinner -- it's a nice division of labor). No one is actually hungry, though, since we had a lot of Italian meats and cheeses and Husband's homemade bread for lunch. 


Looks like we're going to On Demand "National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation". If that doesn't make me laugh, it's going to be a tough few days.



No comments:

Post a Comment