Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Getting There

Today was tedious, but in the most awesome kind of tedious way possible.

Husband woke up ready to work, so after 5 minutes of coffee and biscotti, we went into the little guy's room and figured out what had to be done. We did a pretty spectacularly shitty job of filling all the cracks and nail holes in his room last night (we prefer to work in near darkness -- the element of surprise keeps the job exciting), so we used the light of day to our advantage to repair 100-year old plaster.

In the most serendipitous of ways, our neighbor invited the little guy over for a play date, so we didn't have to contend with the needs and concerns of the 8-year old. 

We couldn't have asked the stars to align more perfectly. We had to get some shit done.

The walls are shit. If we had $5k just sitting around, we'd pay someone with skills and/or talent to demo the room and put up gypsum board. But we don't. So we've spent about $70 in joint compound, spackle and sand paper and we're doing the best we can.

We got an orbital sander. I'm pretty stoked about that. You have to put a shit-ton of goo on these cracked walls and we'd be sanding til 2013 if we had to rely on our upper arm strength.  The orbital sander makes quick work of the whole process. 

Surprisingly, we didn't get into a fight at The Depot. Husband just resigned himself to the color I picked and there were no subsequent discussions.

Subsequent discussions of the past went like this: 

Husband: "What color?"
Me: "This one."
Husband: "Really?"
Me: "For fuck's sake. I've been talking about this for two weeks."
Husband: "You have?"
Me: "Yes. Why don't you ever listen to me?"
Husband: "I do. {Long pause}.This is the color?"
Me: "Yes."
Husband: "What about something else?"
Me: "Such as?"
Husband: "I don't know."
Me: "Well, my color  beats your color since your color doesn't have a name or a fucking clue."
Husband: "How about orange?"
Me: "How about fuck you?"

[End Scene]

We did not have that discussion today.

We got shit done. We got the girl to help us. We just finished scarfing down Asian take-out and booze. We are currently watching "Rise of the Planet of the Apes."

I am so, so happy.

For the friends that have asked, here are some pix of our work:

It's no longer a door to the office to our bedroom. It's a stone-cold wall, biotch.

West wall: Soon to be the wall of Rock and or Roll. Husband rocks the chops.

East wall: Hard to see, but this will be Blackhawks Tribute Wall #1. Trust me.

She got more in her hair and on the bottom of her feet than on the wall. But she's cheap labor.

Door? What door?
Today was pretty productive. We're hoping to do some taping and mudding up the bad spots tomorrow morning before we visit Husband's mom downstate. I can't wait to prime and paint the windows and trim and then, hopefully by Day 365 of 2011, get "Sparrow" on the walls.

The coolest thing of today's work was finding the "This Old House"  web site how-to on removing paint from door hardware. This hardware has been painted over for at least 35-years and I didn't want to paint over it again.

"This Old House" suggested I put the hardware in the Crock Pot with a few tablespoons of liquid laundry detergent and water and then turn up the heat ... and wait. Check this out:

After about 7 hours, I pulled off 35-years of paint off the hardware with a pair of tongs. This is possibly the neatest thing EVER.
Right???? That is 100-year old hardware!
Between the gift-wrapping, puzzle-making and sanding/priming crap, my back ... ugh. I lack words to explain my back pain right now.

I know it will all be worth it in a week or so.

I am happy. The food was good, my favorite wine is back at Trader Joe's, I've got door hardware in the crock pot and I'm not wearing pants.

My life is good.


1 comment:

  1. I lost it at the last (second last?) paragraph with the crock-pot and lack of pants - awesomely hilarious.

    The progress on the room looks incredible - and I hope my hardware looks that good when it's 100 years old. (Wooo-ah! Thanks- I'm here all week.) I'd prefer to avoid the crock-pot method though - I'm vain, but not that vain.

    Nice work.

    ReplyDelete