Saturday, January 14, 2012

50 min in 22F

I just spent 50 minutes running in 22F on the partially shoveled sidewalks of Chicago.  The weather person in my phone says with the wind, it feels like 13F, and I'm in no position to disagree.

Brrrrrr....it's cold out thar!

I have never run outside in this kind of weather before, so I'm feeling pretty hard core.  Also, I still don't have the cold weather sniper hat, wool socks or YakTrax, so this run was tricky.

A few things:

1. It was not a fast run. I think that once I have the YakTrax and if I can stop being so concerned about getting my flashy new kicks all crapped up with muddy snow slush, I might easily shave a good 20 to 30 seconds off my pace.

2.  I would have been smart to wear my squishy pants over my running tights. Yes, I look slick in the tights but 8 minutes into the run, it felt like someone had been slapping my thighs for 6 hours straight.  I still haven't looked to see what color they are.

It's a Balaclava. I'll be a running ninja.
3.  I've been home for more than 20 minutes and I'm still not certain if I am or am not smiling (is this what Botox is like?). I need that sniper hood.  It isn't even terribly windy today but an exposed face in this cold is a red, red face. I hope it is normal by the time our dinner guests arrive or they'll think Husband replaced me with an Oompa Loompa.

4.  I wanted to quit at about 18 minutes. I was cold and it was difficult running with curb/puddle hopping and slipping all over the icy/unshoveled walks.  But I kept going and part of it was just so I could really bask in tomorrow - a planned day of rest. I'm so glad I saw it through to the end.  Tomorrow - I'm a blob on the couch. Nothing more. Nothing less.

5.  About 30 minutes into the run, Husband and the kids passed me in the car on their way to the ice skating rink.   They rolled down their windows and hollered and waved at me.  When they turned the corner, I could see husband looking at me and smiling. I don't expect him to come home and say the words "I'm proud of you," out loud, but I think at that moment, he actually might have been proud of me. I'm such a total cold-weather whiner and for him to see me outside in 22 F weather, leaping over snow banks and doing my best to put one foot in front of the other, just so I could cross '50 minute run' off today's list of to-do's, well...I think that surprised him. It would have been so much more like me to take a nap on the couch.

6. With this 50 minute run today, I have worked out 5 times this week. I ran three times, biked once and swam once. I missed one workout, but I'm not feeling bad about it because it was a migraine day: it was not a day for motion, light, or sound.

I'm pretty proud of myself. And I'm anxious to see where I am a month from now once my body is acclimating to this exercise thing again and is starting to improve in strength and stamina.



Stay warm! 

3 comments:

  1. It was -3C (26F) when I got up this morning - I wussed out and did my 26-minute run in the Gym.

    You are my hero.

    I am so full of running guilt right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do all of your heroes wear nose plugs? :)

    ReplyDelete