Sunday, January 15, 2012

Beer and Whoopie Pies

Today was -- and continues to be -- the perfect, lazy day.

We went to the local outside ice rink / sledding hill and I got to watch Husband play some ice hockey and spend time with other friends/parents while our kids hiked up and down the hill for an hour and a half. 

Back at home, all snuggled up on the couch, we watched some episodes of Dog, had leftover chicken and waffles and napped. Upon waking, I ate whoopie pies and drank some beer while watching Cinema Paradiso. A year ago, my son wouldn't have been able to read the subtitles. 

Chicken and Waffles
The house is clean, I'm knitting, the kids are 'making' dinner (I think they're just warming up the chicken and waffles)* and we're going to watch some old horror movies until it's time for bed. 

We may enjoy some port, too.

Keeping a family is a lot of work, especially on the weekends. Having a break like this together -- and really enjoying a day of relaxing nothingness -- is absolutely amazing.

Just as I was about to post this, the kids brought out our 'appetizers' -- dry toast speared with a lit birthday candle and covered with partially boiled (mostly raw, actually) potatoes.  Suddenly, the remainder of this lovely day seems questionable...

Not Chicken and Waffles.
Whoopie Pie


6 comments:

  1. OMG it all sounds so pastoral and ideal. How did you get there?

    OK, so we have that, too, sometimes. It's just that my son is now 3 going on 4 and he's starting with the whole boy-punching-kicking-biting-spitting thing, and we're having trouble dealing with it.

    Just to be dirty here: when I read "Whoopie," I thought maybe this was a recipe for some chocolate concoction specifically made for men to make to get women in the mood.

    I've always been aware of the magic of chocolate in that sense, but never understood it until I happened to watch a Jamie Oliver episode where he makes some chocolate thing for his 3 women "friends" and WOW it was amazing to see their eyes when he brought that out.

    Just sayin'. Hope I haven't ruined your post with my comments.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We worked like hell on Saturday ... I think we just wore everyone down. It's the bitch the day of, but the day after, they're all like limp little kitties.

    Some Whoopie Pie wiki shit for you (and maybe Oliver's bitches were in on it:

    While considered a New England phenomenon and a Pennsylvania Amish tradition,[2] they are increasingly sold throughout the United States.[1] According to food historians, Amish women would bake these desserts (known as hucklebucks at the time) and put them in farmers' lunch pails or lunch boxes. When farmers would find the treats in their lunch, they would shout "Whoopie!"[1] It is thought that the original Whoopie pies may have been made from cake batter leftovers.[3]

    Fascinating stuff, right?

    Whoopie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chicken & Waffles?

    I'll try that if you try Poutine.

    Deal?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cheese Curds + French Fries covered in Brown Gravy? Shit yeah! I'm a little disappointed this was not brought to my attention years ago!

    I bet Wisconsin has this...

    ReplyDelete
  5. That whoopie pie looks amazing!!! I have a serious serious love for those little delicious cakes.... gotta go get me one!

    ReplyDelete