Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Bummer

I had to walk away from a business opportunity that I really wanted to be involved in yesterday. 

I'm disappointed, as I put a few free hours into researching the company and giving some feedback/recommendations as we were setting direction. But as direction, goals and roles changed in a matter of 24 hours, I knew I was headed into a project in which I couldn't be successful.

I never look this serious.
I spent a long time developing a letter to excuse myself from the situation without being whiney or bitchy or overly critical of the new direction. It must have been worth my effort because the response I got from the almost-client was a positive one.  I guess I didn't burn any bridges.

I do appreciate that at almost 40 years old, I have the brains, the gut and the voice I need to make the tough calls. I'm also happy that my boss (me) listens when I tell her I see too many red flags. She's often an uncompromising bitch.

On the upside: yesterday, I also got to write a blog post that will translate into dollars. American dollars! A client is paying me to do some of their blogging! Writing the piece was a little surreal ... I felt like I should have a guideline or sample to look at since this was, after all, business. But I guess that isn't how blogging for business goes, necessarily.  Clearly, I couldn't drop f-bombs in the post, but I think I still stayed true to me and my writing style while addressing the client philosophy.  That's kind of cool, yeah?

It was an interesting day. I hope today is ... less so. 

1 comment:

  1. If I end up commenting 2x here it is because Google ate my comment... TTT, when I grow up I want to be a behavior ninja... I just spent 2 days focused on studying how to surround myself with talent and leading that talent. I love to study this, I love the high level thinking it forces in me, and I love when I see the language of high level thinkers. Knowing that you would not have thrived in that position is something a lot of people don't get to in their lives and mindset. It reinforces my desire to be a behavior ninja... and it reinforces how much I enjoy interacting with you... I am writing...

    ReplyDelete