Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Doing What I Love

Rockin' the Geriatric Clown Chic.
I've been busy doing some writing and editing for a client over the past 6 or 7 days. We had a deadline to meet and a fair amount of work to get done. 

This client is unlike any other: they're interested in the process (and not in an awful micromanaging kind of way), they sometimes sign their e-mails, "Love," and above all, they're very verbal about telling me that I'm providing value to their overall business and marketing goals. 

The client 'gets it.'

And on Monday night, I got an e-mail that said, "I am pretty sure I would have lost my mind by now without you." I responded, "... being valued is better than crossing a finish line."


I'm writing and editing for a client that values my work. Does it get any better?

Today, I got to participate in the school fundraiser kick-off assembly for our annual Jog-A-Thon. This year, the committee in charge (and which I co-chair with two really wonderful women) really wanted to educate the kids about running and stretching and hydration and all the good stuff that most of the kids at our school aren't exposed to at home.

Four of our resource teachers led the assembly -- dressed in the race shirts from marathons and half-marathons that they earned on their own time. The enthusiasm of young teachers -- and of runners who want others to run with them -- was inspiring.

We were able to secure really generous gift certificates from a local running store for teacher prizes, Clif Products is sending us a poop-ton of Clif Kid Z-Bars, and we even scored some free movie tickets for the class that generates the most pledges/donations.

Energized by the assembly, I went to the local running store that donated the G.C.'s and bought my first pair of compression sleeves. 

Then I put 'em on and made the local hill my bitch. 

I love running. And I love writing and marketing. And my involvement in this Jog-A-Thon has given me the opportunity to combine both passions. Does it get any better?

Chicago had a typical spring at an atypical time. It (atypically) started last week and it (typically) lasted for less than 72 hours: It is now summer.  Today peaked at 84 or something insane. 

The warm weather triggered a desire for healthy, colorful salads. And I knocked it out of the park with these two salads:

Roasted Beet, Strawberry and Arugula Salad with Balsamic Drizzle

Like Nicoise, but not.

I love cooking. I love new recipes. I love plating green and red goodness on my favorite over-sized platter like I'm painting on a clean canvas.  Does it get any better?

New episode of Dog The Bounty Hunter airs tonight. Life is fucking awesome.



3 comments:

  1. Sounds like the stars have aligned!
    The salads look awesome! And I bet they tasted great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never seen more positive energy and enthusiasm crammed into a single post. This is a good thing.

    The only thing missing is Rick Crapster using the toilet.(and flushing)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Midlife Rambler. I might suggest you avoid today's post. It will be the exact opposite of this one.

    Grrrrrrr....

    ReplyDelete