Wednesday, April 4, 2012

One Thing

Just. One. Thing. (Find at PrettyBitter)
This makes me seriously hot.

Can you imagine? Committing to do just one thing today?

Honestly, I'm not sure why you'd need that piece of paper if you only had to do one thing. For me, I guess, it would be a much-needed reminder to focus: can't do everything, may as well focus on just this one. tiny. thing.

Truthfully, I've been a blur of color today. I banged out some client work this morning, tidied some trouble spots in the house, I'm on load three of laundry, I mopped the kitchen floor (and anywhere else I found sticky spots), I provided lunch for my kids and one extra, I cleaned up after lunch, and I'm half-way through baking some cookies. If I can keep up the momentum, I should have one bathroom cleaned and dinner started by the time Husband gets home. I'd really like it if I could pull off a shower, too.  Oh, yeah, and I'm writing this blog post.

I've been a rock star at multi-tasking all my life. And professionally, it served me well: my promotions were all based on my ability to start, manage, and complete 17* different things at once.  For the past three years, I thought it was why triathlon suited me so well: you're never just training in ONE event -- you can't chance it: you have to be (minimally) adequate in all three events.

One of the things I've realized in the past few weeks of my marathon training is this: I love focusing on one thing.  Long runs - on my own - are not easy: but if the most important part of my training is making sure I get that long run in every week ... well, that's all I need to focus on. I just have to make sure I'm in the game for that one long run.

Every Saturday, the one thing I have to do is run. That's it. 

And I love it.

I never thought I'd be the person that would love doing one thing at a time. Hell, I can't even just watch TV. I have to knit, or have a computer on my lap, or balance a checkbook. I'm not sure if this is an age thing, or if I'm just really fucking tired from doing 17** things at once for the past 39 years, but setting more realistic goals for myself is working out just fine.

Now, of course, I can't ever just do one thing. I mean...let's say I got this notepad, I'd have to put some kind of disclaimer on it re how it is to be used. I'd also have to have a dispenser designed so it would only allow me ONE sheet of paper per day, or shit would get out of hand. Examples of what the one thing could be:

*Eat something I really crave
*Clean up one surface that has paper clutter (leave the other surfaces for another day)
*Write up that invoice that I've been putting off
*Surprise Husband or kids
*Take a nap and don't feel bad about it
*Sit on the beach and stare at the lake 
*Bury one of the bodies
*Bake something sweet and wrong  
*Work out and don't feel bad about it
*Buy something for yourself that is cheap and unnecessary

That's what I'd use that notepad for:  And then if I accomplished that one thing, anything else that got accomplished that day would be icing on the cake.

I could really get into this...

#  #

*Seventeen is a random and arbitrary number.
**Seventeen is a random and arbitrary number, but I really seem to be connected to it today.

2 comments:

  1. "If I could accomplish just one thing a day, I consider it a good, good day." This was my FB post on January 13. So your post means something to me. Because there is so much to get done, it often happens that the stuff I pick up first are the ones that are screaming the loudest. Not necessarily the ones that are most important to me that, as I go to bed, make me feel like I just made the best use of my day. So if I had that memo pad, I'd put down the one thing that would give my day an A, and it would put focus there. That one thing, on certain days, just may be to bury one of the bodies. At least I know that I will get that one done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. One day/one body at a time! :)

    ReplyDelete