Saturday, April 21, 2012

Smile, Breathe, Binge

I'm working through something right now: something I've had decades to deal with and haven't.  The time is now.  But what I need to do is so frightening and overwhelming that I'm just ... stewing. It's inactivity. It's using up good energy. Yet, I can't smile and breathe before I make the decision to move forward (and Russell Simmons says if you smile and breathe before you make a decision it will be the right decision).

So I'm just going to shift the focus.

New foods I'm obsessed with:

Mole:  Mole is ridiculous: ridiculously awesome. I'm sad I didn't come to know mole until my late 30's. My late, late, 30s. I'm thinking about making mole next weekend and pouring it into my flasks for the race. I want to store containers of mole in my nightstand, so I can feast on it when I wake in the middle of the night.   I want to shower in mole. Swim in mole. Dig a trench around our building and fill it with mole so I can use the mole moat to keep people away from me and my mole inside.

Poached eggs: Our new go-to dinner is spaghetti w/ asparagus, parmigiano-romano and poached eggs.  I had no idea egg yolk was so good and so creamy on hot pasta. I haven't had my cholesterol checked since I started my poached egg kick (I eat at least 5/week) and at this point, if poached eggs are killing me, I'm okay with that. Poached eggs are worth the increased risk of death.

Oikos Vanilla Greek Yogurt: It's pricey, but worth it. The vanilla tastes like actual vanilla bean, not like that artificial flavoring that burns your throat. I hide it in the back of the fridge so no one else eats it: I live with culinary philistines -- they don't fully appreciate the flavor of this yogurt.  Every spoonful should be cherished and savored, not devoured in three, sloppy spoonfuls.

Avocado Toast: Fuck. Me. I had it for the first time today. I'm pretty sure it'll be a part of my pre long run breakfast (with a poached egg on the side).  It's exactly what it says it is: you mash up an avocado and spread it on a piece of toast. I season it a smidge with salt and pepper. Once again, I'm sorry it took me 39.85 years to discover it: I have lost precious time with avocado toast.

Water: I know water isn't food, but I'm kind of obsessed. Throughout all this marathon training, I've been really bad about two things: stretching and hydrating. With the addition of the slant board to my routine so it can passively stretch my calves for me, I've decided that every time I'm on the slant board, I have to drink 8 oz of water. I've had 48 oz of water so far today. I'm sure that's still wildly low, but I'm getting better at it. I'm guessing before the end of the night, I'll have another 24 oz: that's 72 oz total.

Lentil Soup: This may not be the right thing to say, but I'm mostly obsessed with the Veggie Lentil Soup from Pita Inn in Skokie. I'm certain that there are an endless amount of better, more authentic lentil soups out there, but Pita Inn's lentil soup is a $2.99 bowl of comfort and happiness. I shamelessly mop the bowl clean with a piece of their equally fantastic pita.

Now what?

I need to have another Indian night soon: Home made Tofu Tikka Masala, Naan, Dahl and Lentil Soup.  Samosas to be bought at nearby Indian restaurant. Beer. Friends.

I'm thinking of a new kind of summer bruschetta: garlic toast topped with mashed avocado and then a black bean/tomato mixture. Drizzled with lime juice, salt and garnished with cilantro.

I may act on the joke I made with a friend about Huevos Benedicto: Flour tortilla, topped with poached egg, avocado, mole and maybe some black beans, too. 

My distraction is over. I'm hungry. Time to make dinner and try that smiling/breathing thing again.




1 comment:

  1. I've never given in to mole. But if you want to make a moat of this stuff....maybe I should try it soon!

    Oh avocados...toast and avocados...avocados in salad, on grilled cheese, with pasta, with cereal, really with anything! I LOVE avocados!!

    ReplyDelete